What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, October 5, 2007

To all the food I've loved before

Now that I can't have gluten (or so many other things) I'm not sure when I might once again have my cake and eat it, too. So, here I have a memorial to the delectable goodies of the past.
The Strawberry-Covered Chocolate Cake

This was my inside-out idea for my 29th birthday. It tasted great, but the frosting was so soft it rather oozed off the cake over time. Not that it needed to last all that long. Cakes are not baked to be looked at!

The lovely confection followed a birthday feast:


Crostini with Roasted Artichoke Pesto
Served with Trinity Oaks Johannesburg Riesling

Tomatoes with Fried Goat Cheese & Herb Salad
Grilled Grass-fed Rib Eye
Served with Napa Valley Vineyards Reserve Merlot

It was nummy.


And then there was last Thanksgiving.
My first (and last for a long time, not by my choice) time preparing the feast. We invited some single (or otherwise alone for the holiday) soldiers to join us. I was too busy to get pictures of the spread, but one of the guys did. If he makes it back from Baghdad, I'll get copies from him to post here.

The menu:

Butter-Roasted Turkey with Pan Gravy
Cornbread and Sausage Dressing
Fresh Cranberry-Orange Relish
Maple Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Salad
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Southern Collard Greens
Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits

Pumpkin Pie with Fresh Whipped Cream
Cranberry-Apple Crumb Pie
Chocolate Cake with Apricots and Almonds
Coffee, Tea & Cocktails

The chocolate cake with leaf cut-out apricots and almonds. It was fun to decorate. But not much was eaten that night... everyone was too full.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.