What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Afternoon Snack

Welcome to my blog, and let me begin by telling you why you're here.

You want to know what I eat so that you can eat it, too. Good ideas spread faster than the plague, but the plague isn't tasty, so let's move on.

I am currently pregnant, intolerant of several All American staple foods, and thus forced into real creativity when I get smacked by the hungry stick. I get smacked a lot. Like this afternoon, I awoke from a brief power-snooze absolutely famished. (Apparently, I put a little too much effort into the nap.) What to eat? Nuts and fruit... again? No. I couldn't face it. I wanted something that would stick to my ribs for a while.

Thick-cut bacon (from pastured pigs) and potatoes fried in the grease. Yes!


Ain't that just the pertiest thang you ever saw?

Oh, and... in case you were wondering... I don't need professional help. Fat from real food is good for you. So, grab a pan, turn up the heat, and go make your own snack. Recipe not included because it's just too easy.

Ok, I understand that some folks are desperate for guidance... try this recipe. That's sort of how I did it, but I skipped the futzy herbs and added lard instead of butter.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.