What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Fried Boozey Apples

I didn't get any pictures of dinner... I was too hungry. Scat happens.

But, with dinner being a stir-fry of sorts, and me having mine with rice noodles (the rest of the family had nice fat whole wheat udon), I was hungry again about five minutes later.

The kids decided to have apples. Hmm... I could have an apple. And then I'd be hungry again in five more minutes. That wouldn't solve much.

Or... an idea began to grow... I could fry an apple, sliced up, in some coconut oil (butter would have tasted better, but... ) and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. As I was flipping the little apple slices over I got another idea. I could add booze. Pretty much all recipes go better with booze. But, being pregnant, my stash of flavor-adding boozes is rather low. We also moved recently, and many didn't make the cut for boot-legging. I perused the home bar and decided on the Sailor Jerry's Spiced Navy Rum. It smells divine the moment it hits the hot pan. Truly divine. So... apples, coconut oil, rum... then a nice shaking of cinnamon-sugar (which is ever-so-much-better when made with Rapadura instead of white sugar).


Yeah, I think this is a good snack.
Doesn't that look like it really needs a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream in the middle? Yeah. I thought so, too.
I haven't attempted to use my new/used ice cream machine to make coconut-milk-based ice cream yet. That'll be another post for another day.Posted by Picasa

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.