What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Playing ketchup

Bad food pun. Sorry. It's early yet.

Lunch yesterday stank. I didn't bother taking pictures. Dinner was chili, which was very nummy, but I didn't post anything because I was too busy watching LSU vs FL. Good game. I didn't really have a rooting interest, but it was great anyway.

So, here I am, stirring the grassfed ground-beef, browning it with onions in bacon fat. Mmmmm... bacon fat!


My husband took a picture of the stirring because the beef was really pretty... but... not being a professional food photographer...

Well, I'll tell you, it was browning really dark and caramel-y. You'll just have to take my word for it.
And, I had to use bacon fat. Grassfed beef is much leaner than feedlot beef. And because nothing in the world (except grill smoke) smells better than onions cooking in bacon fat. Well, maybe onions and garlic in bacon fat.

So, here is the almost-finished result. The chili in the crockpot.


It's only somewhat homemade, as so much comes out of a can. But, I just don't make my own tomato products. Nor have I successfully cooked a pot of beans. My beans always come out mushy. All two times I've tried.

So, the recipe:

2 lbs ground chuck
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
large handful mushrooms, sliced

Saute all that (where's the little mark to put over the "e"?) in the fat of your choice and toss in slow cooker. I suggest starting with the onions, moving on to the mushrooms, then the beef, and briefly the garlic.

Directly to the slow cooker add:

2 cans RoTel diced tomatoes with chiles
1 can plain tomato sauce (full-size can)
1 can black beans
2 T chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cilantro

It's a really flexible recipe. I've never had it taste bad, if you have no tomato sauce, add some tomato paste and a bit of broth or water. No RoTel? Regular diced and some extra spice. Leftover roast beef (or pork) instead of ground beef? Go for it.

Then just let it cook for a nice long while. Watch some football. It tastes great with shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips, cornbread, actual corn... none of which I can have. It tastes pretty good all by itself, too.

Oh... First Breakfast today was pretty much the same as yesterday, thus no pictures.

1 comment:

~Heidi~ said...

I've had this chili! It's awesome!

Oh, and the tilde or whatever they call the slanted line over the e is located in your Symbols section in Word. You do write your blogs in Word first and then paste into the post right? :)

Love the blog by the way. Can I tell a friend about this? She has become a nutrition Nazi suddenly, and I think she'd love it. H.

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.