What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Breakfasts

Yes... breakfasts, plural. I am a hobbit. I wake up hungry, with no requirements for my food beyond "won't make me sick" and "really, really easy to make." That usually means toast.
I can start the coffeemaker, toss toast into the toaster oven, wake up my computer, and be making good progress on waking up, all with the fog of sleep still in my eyes. Better food can come later.

Gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free, everything-free bread is special. I'm very glad it exists, but... it's not all that much like real bread. It absolutely requires toasting. And toppings. The things that substitute for gluteny flours are often not as nutritious, and in the interest of appealing to the widest variety of freaks, the makers of everything-free bread usually leave it rather low-fat. shudder

So, I slather it with whatever I've got, or else I'm just eating pure carbs, and that's not good for me.

Here we have coffee and toast with blueberry preserves and almond slices.
Why almond slices?
Because I wanted some form of fat/protein and don't have any almond butter at the moment.

So... yeah... that's the early-morning, still-dark version of breakfast. First Breakfast. But a hobbit cannot live on First Breakfast alone, so.. about 2 hours later, it's time to once again ponder, what CAN Bekki eat?


Without eggs, Second Breakfast is a very sad thing.

More toast... this time Raisin-Walnut. Ooooh... flavor! I added some Coconut Cream Concentrate for fat and some sort of creaminess (how I miss butter!) and then more raisins. Oh, and cinnamon-sugar. I make my own. It's easy. I put about equal parts Rapadura (whole sugar) and cinnamon in the blender... whizz up until the Rapadura is ground small enough to get out of a shaker. The kids never seemed to notice the switch from crack-cocaine (white sugar) to Rapadura. I did. Rapadura tastes better.

As for the smoothie... I'm still working on smoothie science. There's a fine balance between liquid and frozen ingredients needed. With no raw yolk to really emulsify it, it kinda sucks. But... I'm gestating here and need calories. So, since I'm out of coconut milk, I used coconut cream, diluted halfsies with water, a handful of sliced almonds, squirt of agave nectar, some frozen blueberries, and half a frozen banana. Somehow I didn't have enough frozen stuff... didn't blend up right. Hopefully it'll hold me over until Elevensies.



1 comment:

~Heidi~ said...

For our shakes, we always have a bag of frozen berries. That way you don't have to add ice. Our shakes are simple -- some juice, frozen berries, a banana and protein powder. If you don't want to buy frozen berries straight from the market, get some organic ones, spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them yourself (then put them in a sack after their frozen, keeps 'em from sticking together). They blend up perfect if you have a good blender.

Have you every tried using fructose instead of sugar? I have a 50 lb bag of the stuff in my garage if you want some. :) Yep, I moved back to California and my health nut kicked in. H.

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.