What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Monday, October 8, 2007

No pictures

Sorry. I like to have lots of pictures. Food is pretty.
But, breakfast was glop. It wasn't pretty. It was supposed to be jook. I guess, due to the lack of pictures (see how important they are?) that I just imagined a whole different thing. I was picturing either rice pudding, or a porridge of sorts. "Porridge" connotes a liquid, needs-a-spoon type of dish to me.

My jook didn't need a spoon.

I made it in my rice cooker (and it's not a shabby one... it uses fuzzy logic or something like that) just like the recipe said. I added cinnamon, to help my digestive fire, raisins, thanks to the rice pudding vision, and dried cherries, because I've been feeling anemic for the first time ever. Then I tossed in some sliced almonds, because... why not?

Turned it on (porridge setting), left it over night, got out of bed with a bit of a bounce this morning. Breakfast was already made! It was healthy, it was hot, I was so excited. I opened the lid with my left hand, already wielding the rice paddle (spoon thingy) with my right...
Glop?
I stirred it... all the almonds and cinnamon were on top, because, of course, they float.
It made icky squelchy noises.
Hmmm... I'm up at 6:30, haven't had coffee yet, and the Universe thinks I need this?
Um, ok.

I plopped some in a bowl and tasted it. And promptly added a spoonful of maple syrup. It needed more than that, but I'm not handling sugar well these days, so....

I ate it. Kudos to me. And now I have a large plastic container in the fridge with the leftovers. Great.

For Second Breakfast I had a piece of toast (from my usual everything-free bread). I made the jook so I could avoid anything processed. The best way to make sure you don't accidentally ingest an allergenic ingredient is to do away with ingredient lists completely. I had decided to be hard-core about this, and even do away with my morning toast. Well... after the glop I felt pretty icky. Cranky. Angry. Tired. After the toast I felt good. So... I don't care if it has an ingredient list. I like it.

Lunch was late... so I was once again very, very, very cranky. I should keep this in mind with the kids... stick a cracker in their mouths when they start getting whiny. Anyway, I had yet more leftover chili, but on a baked potato this time. It was surprisingly good. It's amazing what a difference a potato makes.

For dinner, my husband is smoking a pork butt. That still sounds like a joke to me. Did you know the "butt" doesn't even come from the pig's hindside? Why would they call it that? BUT (hee hee), we bought it because I couldn't find any chicken that was just chicken. Why in the world do they feel it's necessary to inject funky fluids into chicken? Just whack it's head off, pluck it's feathers, shove it in a bag, and sell it to me. Ok? Please? Oh, well. I like smoked butt.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.