What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Eggs!

I can have eggs again! Hooray!

Thanks to not doing a proper elimination diet, eggs were falsely accused. I'm still being careful and not eating them every day. Sometimes that helps. They are not a food that wants to be eaten, like fruits (where a trip through the digestive tract improves the odds of the seeds getting to grow.) Eggs can be quite a powerful allergen, so I want to tread lightly. But I got to have 'em for breakfast this morning. Yum. Hard to see them there... over easy, so the yolks are hiding.


Lunch was really good, too. Hubby grilled burgers, and I made hummus. I'd heard it suggested as a dip for raw veggies. The people who suggest that are crazy. Hummus needs pita. But, carrot sticks were pretty good, too. Celery really wasn't, which is saying something, because we generally eat a lot of celery. Maybe that had more to do with the homemade bleu cheese dip?
Hmmm, surely not.

Anyhow, I also sliced a cucumber, salted it, and sprinkled it with dill. So easy, so tasty.

The hummus:
1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons minced garlic
some salt
some paprika
some sesame seeds (had no tahini)

Put in food processor (or blender, I imagine) and whiz it up until it's all blended. Add more oil, if you think it's too thick. Add some cayenne, if you like it spicy. Sprinkle parsley and paprika on top to make it pretty.

And now my GFCF, corn-free (had to make my own freakin' baking powder!?!) banana bread is almost done. I sure hope the finished product tastes better than the batter did. It was a bit... gritty.
It smells good, if that's anything.
By the way, I absolutely HATE the formatting on this blog. I have spent way too much time trying to fix it. I need a tutorial or something. The preview never matches the final result. I will stop screaming at it and just get on with my life.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.