What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Monday, October 15, 2007

I Love Coleslaw!



Love. Love love love love love. Well, I love this coleslaw... adapted from Julia Child's book, seen above. I just use the dressing part of the recipe, so far, as the rest involves a lot of chopping. And I like to have cole slaw on nights that hubby grills... so I want my entire involvement over quick. That way it feels more like a night off.

My Version of Saint Julia's Coleslaw

1 Tbs Dijon-type (her words, my emphasis) mustard
2 Tbs raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp coarse grey salt (never trust a white salt!)
1/2 tsp Rapadura sugar
1/4 tsp cumin, ground
1/4 tsp celery salt (or celery seed, if you've got it)
several grinds of fresh pepper
1/3-1/2 cup mayonnaise (no Miracle Whip or I will hunt you down and hurt you)
... drum roll please... the secret ingredient to coleslaw nirvana... 1 tsp liquidy bacon fat

Heh heh heh

Mix that all together in a big bowl. Add about half a bag of finely-shredded coleslaw cabbage (the tri-color tastes best, if you can get it, dressing tastes good on broccoli slaw, too, but you'll have a very wet coleslaw). Stir. Once that first bit is good and wet, add about half of what's left. Stir. Add the rest. Stir.

Eat. Or serve, if you're feeling futzy.

I usually have about half of this left by the time the rest of dinner is ready. It's sooooooo good.


The rest of dinner tonight:

To the right, the wonderful, crunchy, salty, charry goodness that is grilled asparagus. Tonight the hubby got the idea (gee, wonder where from?) to toss it with bacon fat prior to grilling, instead of olive oil.
He also salted it, and was a tad concerned that it would be too salty. Ha! I have two taste buds at the moment- sour and salty. Oh... three... and beefy.
So, to round out the meal, lightly-warmed grass-fed steaks. I think the packages said "t-bone," but they must have been from the end of that primal. Still positively yummy.

3 comments:

~Heidi~ said...

Oh my god yum. :)

Hey, I love, love, love homemade coleslaw too. I have a secret ingredient for my coleslaw and because I love you so much I will share it with you. I get those little yellow fruits with the little bumps all over them (starfruit? can't remember the name and haven't seen them since I moved back to Cali), skin it and chop it up into the slaw. It adds a mild sweetness to the slaw, a similar flavor to cucumber, but so much better. You can shred the fruit too with a grater as I recall. Seriously, try it sometime. :) H.

~Heidi~ said...

Addendum to previous post -- OK it is NOT starfruit. I think it's called kiwani. They used to sell them at the Irmo Kroger. :) And I recalled wrong. You don't grate it. You scoop it out and mix it in with your mayonnaise base. :) Sorry, it has been a while.
H.

Henny said...

asparagus with bacon grease is one of my very favorite things!! I LOVE it!

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.