What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Guacamole of the Gods

Sooo... I fried up some bacon earlier... in my stainless-steel pan, for a change. And I was left with stuck-on bacony goodness. What to do? My planned lunch didn't need any bacon (odd, I know.) A beautiful idea began to form... boozey, bacony guacamole. I could deglaze the pan with tequila... and add that to the guacamole... and be in heaven.

So, I did it. And I am.

Here's the sort-of recipe:

An avocado, quite ripe and smooshed up in a bowl
Juice from 1/2 a lime, squeezed over smooshed avocado
2 heaping spoonfuls of salsa verde (don't use regular salsa, the resulting guac looks like vomit)
several shakes of green Tabasco
stuck-on bacony goodness (not in a non-stick pan)
1 shot tequila
Grey salt, to taste

While the pan is still hot, or after you've gotten it hot again (about medium heat, don't want to catch anything on fire), toss in the shot of tequila. Whisk FAST to loosen the bits of bacony goodness. Pour the bacony booze (already reduced to about half) into the bowl with the avocado. Stir everything together, sample, and tweak seasonings.

Next time I think I'll include crumbled bacon. The bacon flavor is kind of lost, although I think the tequila adds divinity.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.