What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Me CaveWench

The banana bread tasted great. If I get a chance, I'll share the recipe, but it wasn't anything special. I used the recipe that came on the back of the bag of gluten-free flour. Said flour was a mix of rice and various bean flours. Sounds weird, but tastes good. Trouble is... (and there's always trouble, isn't there?) apparently I'm not just intolerant of soybeans, but all legumes. I always had issues with peanuts (nasty little poison pellets, anyway, no loss), and suspected soy for a long time... but ALL legumes? Is this really necessary??

*sigh*

This realization dinged a bell deep inside my head. I remembered something I read many years ago, and went searching the 'net to prove/disprove the accuracy of my memory. I had once entertained the idea of the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet. It seemed to fit easily, which made it more believable. I'm a Type O, which means I get to eat meat. But it also means I shouldn't have dairy, grains, legumes, or sweets. Harrumph! said the me of many years ago. Must be a load of hooey. I gave the book away...
And I still think it's probably a load of hooey.
But the guy behind that book was one of the first (in the last 50 years) to publicly decry lectins. I don't think he's got it right... but he maybe got some other people to look into it. Lectins are baaaad, see, and possibly cause all the diseases we can't figure out a cause for. They are a plant's (or animal's) natural defense against being eaten. We've evolved ways to get past animal lectins, just like birds have evolved ways to get past seed lectins. But we humans have NOT (probably... this is where I wonder about the blood type theory) evolved ways to get past the lectins in 4 groups of foods: grains, nightshades, legumes, and dairy.
This is where the Paleo Diet (I should have a link to that, where'd it go?) comes in... and why I figure I must be a cave wench. I have trouble with grains, legumes, and dairy... and we'll see about the nightshades (don't take my tomatoes!)
I did a lot of reading up on the Paleo Diet, since that's pretty much how I'm eating these days anyway. Might as well find recipes and propaganda to tell me why I'm better off. And some of it makes a lot of sense.

I didn't post yesterday, because I spent the day reading... and wavering between clarity and brain fog, as I learned that bean flour banana bread makes me really dumb.

Dinner was good, though- salmon with a strange little "sauce" that I made up, rice, and steamed green beans and carrots with sesame oil.

The "sauce" was just some leftover petite diced tomatoes (about 1/4 a can), some chopped green onion, some chopped kalamata olives, a bit of olive oil, and a generous splash of vermouth. I risked sulfites with that last one. It paid off. Once the salmon was baked, there was a good bit of saucy stuff in the pan that I poured over my rice. Yum!


Breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs and fried boozey apples. Lunch was leftover smoked pork butt, dipped in mustard (couldn't make a sandwich, now could I?), and carrot sticks with hummus. Then I got really hungry mid-afternoon and decided to have another slice of dumb bread... got dumb... finally remembered my new Antidote (black tea), and here I am... finally able to post. I guess cave women didn't eat banana bread. What a shock.

More later, after I make what I hope is a lovely dinner.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.