What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Harvest, Delivered

I recently signed up for a lovely service... Netflix? No. Free Credit Report (.com)? Not quite. (Been there, done that, it's such a scam!) Nope. I now get a box of local produce delivered to my front door every week.

I love this town.

Today was my first delivery... winter is an odd time to sign up, I'm sure, but I happen to love most of the unpopular winter veggies. My box included bok choy (stir-fry!), onions, a silly little bunch of collards (um... what's the point? That wouldn't even be a snack.), some white radishes (I think... ), baby beets (once again, I'm not sure... ), radish sprouts/microgreens (how trendy), a bag of baby lettuces, a large bag of Brussels sprouts (um, ok, time to learn!), lovely broccoli, a big bunch of cilantro (thank goodness, since the Little Guy dumped the last of the dried), one Meyer lemon, and two Rio grapefruit. I also opted to get some locally-made chocolates that are WONDERFUL and frankly a health supplement. I'm not kidding. No bad ingredients. If you click the link... I know the lady on the right.

Now this is what I love... Life basically handed me a week's-worth of Iron Chef theme ingredients. Well, ok, it wasn't Life so much as Greenlings.

There are no pics from lunch or dinner. I have a cold and really don't feel good. Leftovers were eaten, leftovers were enjoyed, leftovers aren't pretty.

But, I urge you to find out if there are winter crops where you live. Many farmers go ahead and plant them, because they give something back to the soil, or at least hold the dirt down through the windy winter. But they often lose money on them, because greens and bitter vegetables aren't "cool." Get connected with where you live... hunt down the harvest. If not now, at least in the spring, when things green up again. Fresh is delicious.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.