What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Stir-fry

Stir-fry is SO forgiving. Even when you can't find the "right" ingredients.


I was going to use some cubed beef that I chopped and marinated about a week ago. Except... I couldn't find it in the freezer. Oops.
I remember putting it in the freezer.
I even remember labeling it... painstakingly... as it always is these days. Did I use soy? Did I use citrus? I have to know later. I have to almost write the entire recipe on the plastic baggie.

And yet, it wasn't there.

So... I used shredded beef, from a roast way back in September. I made a sauce with soy (tamari, to be gluten-free) sauce, the juice of a lemon, about 4 cloves of a garlic, smashed, about an eighth a cup of Worcestershire, and a bit of water and cornstarch (to thicken). Other than that, I sliced and sauteed half an onion, half a red bell pepper, about half a carton of button mushrooms, two stalks of celery, and one smallish bunch of bok choy. I would have done the bok choy separately, but I had a cranky almost-three-year-old on my hands. You do what you can do, ya know?

I put it together with a bit of previously-undercooked steak and the "shredded beef" I found in the freezer. I put it over The Usual Rice*. It was very tasty.

* The Usual Rice is, usually, made with somewhat approximate parts of coconut milk, chicken broth, and 'rice water'. Rice water is... the water skimmed off almost-done Tinkyada brown rice pasta. Because... it makes the rice somewhat stickier. And because... brown rice is better than white rice, but my kids hate brown rice. So this way I get some nutrition into them. Ha ha.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.