What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Geek Sweeps?

I think it must be Geek Sweeps Week. I've just watched Alton Brown get "stranded" on a tropical island and now there's a MythBusters marathon with the theme of "supersized myths." I'm in heaven.

We ate our proscribed lucky meal last night...

Collards and onions in bacon fat, vermouth, and chicken broth, with some leftover smoked pork... and rice with coconut milk and chicken broth... and blackeyed peas (from a can, I confess) warmed in chicken broth. Healthy, wealthy, and happy... that's what our new year will be.
Yumm-o.

Today was Leftover Day. Because we have a fridge full of fabulous leftovers. Lunch was potato skins, onion dip, veggies, hummus, shrimp, and cocktail sauce. Dip whatever you like into whatever you like. Delicious.

Dinner was...I don't really know what to call it. Like so many wonderful meals, it was born of leftovers, with a little new stuff added. In our house, with the microwave used only by The Grill-Master (Grill-Geek, Geek, whichever) for his Jimmy Dean breakfast sammiches, leftovers aren't a way to save on cooking time or dirty dishes. They are simply something one uses to ensure no good food is wasted. So... I cooked up another mess o' greens (my biggest pan is too small for a true "mess," so some of last night's greens had to wait) with bacon fat and onions and vermouth and chicken broth, and cooked some rice pasta shells. The main event was some of the Solstice Roast Beast, with it's resulting gelatinous broth, and a sploosh of crushed tomatoes. Then I decided to toss them all in a bowl together. I'm guessing it's sort of Italian.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.