What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Monday, January 28, 2008

New World Shrimp


I'm not very good at naming new recipes... so this is a working title, as well as a working recipe.

I was inspired by the half-formed ideas that drifted through my head for the first Iron Chef Mom night. I had a New World theme for that meal, and it really got me thinking. And salivating. I live in such a crossroads of cuisines.... Midwestern steak-and-potatoes, red-sauce barbecue, Southern soul food, Cajun, and the whole world of Latin American and Caribbean flavors. All colliding right here. Yum!

So, tonight I had "Shrimp Curry" on the menu (yes, I plan my menu for the week... you should, too!) But when it was time to start cooking, I wasn't in the mood to follow a recipe. I was in the mood to invent. Since coconut milk is often in curries, and coconuts are also native to Central America, I thought... a New World curry. What would that be? Well, I don't think I quite figured that out tonight. I'll blame it on the cranky Little Guy who kept interrupting my thoughts. Yeah. But I got close. It was definitely tasty, but not quite "right" yet. Yet.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil

  • 1/2 red onion, sliced

  • 5-6 garlic cloves, sliced lengthwise

  • 1 tsp cumin

  • 1/2 tsp coriander

  • 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder

  • 1/2 tsp paprika

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • several grinds of pepper- black, white, whatever

  • 1/2 tsp whole sugar (like Rapadura, sucanat, muscovado)

  • about ½ cup chicken broth

  • 1/2 can coconut milk

  • ½ cup frozen peas

  • 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels

  • 1 pound peeled shrimp, cut to bite-size, if needed

  • juice from half a lime

Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet, over medium-high. Add the sliced onion, stirring often, until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, and keep stirring. Add the spices and sugar, to toast up a bit. After just a minute or so, add the liquids. Toss in the frozen veggies, and simmer 5-10 minutes. (I was just waiting for the rice cooker to be done, but also wanted the liquid to reduce a bit.) Add the shrimp and cook another 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.

Remove from heat, add the lime juice, stir, and serve. Add Tabasco, to taste (we used the garlic and jalapeno flavors.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.