What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Beef and Broccoli


It's easy. Apparently, almost-nobody makes it for themselves. Break out of the box, folks!!! Soy sauce + garlic + beef = stir-fry! It's simple! You can make it more complicated, if you're in the mood, but you don't have to. My marinade/sauce ("oooh, cross-contamination from raw beef!" Shut up, it's grass-fed which means it harbors almost no E-coli whatsoever) consisted of tamari (wheat-free soy sauce), Worcestershire, rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, Rapadura (sugar), and then cornstarch to thicken. No biggie. No real measuring, either.

Marinate bite-size beef for, um... a while.
Drain, but save sauce.
Fry up beef in coconut oil, remove from pan.
Add more coconut oil... about a tablespoon. Fry up some sliced onion... until getting soft.
Fry up the cut broccoli (fresh is way better for this, cut into bite-size pieces)
Once that's bright green, add a spoonful of minced garlic (from a jar this time.) Then add the marinade back in. Or some fresh-made sauce, if you're scared.
Let that simmer for a while.
Add about a tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed with water, and stir it in quickly.
Add the beef back in, stir to coat everything with the thickened sauce. Serve with rice.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.