What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Monday, January 7, 2008

SHRIMP

I love shrimp.

Love, love, love, love, love... you get the picture. See, here's the picture:


Now aren't those pretty?
It's Sort-of Shrimp Curry. I got my idea from a recipe, but then decided... to do my own thang. Been doin' that a lately.

Bekki's Lazy Curry

Make some rice. If you have a smart rice cooker (small appliance, NOT skilled sous-chef), use chicken broth for about a third of the liquid needed, coconut milk for another third, and water for the last bit. Makes fabulous rice that actually has some nutrient value

Once that's going, slice half an onion, thinly. Get that going in hot coconut oil, over medium heat. Mince/chop 3 cloves of garlic, press another 2 cloves, and grate about an inch of ginger. When the onions are soft, add the chopped garlic, and stir for a minute. Literally. Watch the clock or count or something. Don't burn the garlic.
Add the pressed garlic and the ginger, stir, and add half a cup of chicken broth. If it's the piddly storebought kind, you'll probably want to add at least 3/4 cup, and reduce it down. Blech. Anyway, now add about half a cup of coconut milk. Depends how liquidy you want it.

Let that simmer for a few minutes. Then add about a cup of peas... still frozen is ok... but then you'll want to make sure stuff is simmering again before adding your shrimp. And, yes, that's the next step... plop 'em on in. Peeled, even take the tail off. Have them ready to eat. (If you are using rather large shrimp, more than a bite, cut them up first.)

Simmer until the shrimp are done... they'll let you know... they're cool like that. They turn pink and curl up. Magic!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.