What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Rice Pudding

I think every gluten-free person ends up making rice pudding. We eat so much darn rice, we can't escape it. I made a big batch of coconut rice last night, thinking we'd need more to eat than the sushi I had ordered. I had no idea how big everything would be... we were plenty full. So, we had a lot of leftover rice. What to do? Rice pudding, of course. It's almost as if the Universe forced my hand to pour in the extra cup last night, steering me on the inevitable path to rice pudding.

So, I looked around online for a recipe I could adapt to being dairy-free, and one that used leftover rice. In the end I naturally changed almost everything and had my own brand-new recipe. Although I'm certain I'm not the first person to make it exactly this way... after all... how many ways can there be to make rice pudding?

Stovetop Rice Pudding

2 cups leftover cooked white rice
3 cups milk, divided (any kind)*
1/4 cup sugar (was still a bit too sweet for me)
small pinch salt
1/2 cup raisins, cranberries, whatever

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
freshly-grated nutmeg
1 egg, plus additional yolk


Combine cooked rice, 2 ½ cups milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and stir in the vanilla and seasonings. Cook until just about all of the milk is absorbed, about 20 minutes, stirring often. Whisk egg and yolk into remaining milk, then add to pan, stirring to combine well. Stir in raisins or other dried fruit.
Divide rice pudding into individual serving dishes serve warm or chilled. Top with sliced nuts or shredded coconut, if desired.

Makes 4-6 servings (yeah, right...)

*Note: Feel free to add a bit extra if the pudding is not as creamy as you like it. Any kind of milk works well, I used 2 cups coconut and 1 cup hazelnut.

I got the recipe that I loosely based this on from Slashfood.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.