What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Baked Fish

I love recipes that use leftovers.
Tonight's recipe used leftover rice, which we almost always have. It's nearly impossible to guess the appetites of children. Both kids love rice, and will often go back for seconds. There had better BE seconds. But then sometimes they don't. So then there are leftovers.

I based it, loosely, on an Alton Brown recipe. I have made that one before, following it closely, and it's fabulous. If you can has cheez, do it as Holy Alton says. If not, do it as I says.

Bekki's Baked Fish Dish

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped small
salt... not white
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10-ounce package) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 lemon, zested (I used 1/2 tsp of shredded lemongrass... had no lemon)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/4 cup white wine (I always use dry vermouth)
1/4 cup chicken broth
4 tilapia (or other white fish) fillets
3 cups leftover cooked rice
Toasted sesame oil and paprika

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium saute pan over low heat, melt the butter; add the onion and a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Add the spinach and lemon zest/grass and cook until just heated through. Season with the salt and pepper, wine and broth, and stir to combine. Simmer a little, to reduce the liquid. Remove from the heat and keep warm.

If the fillets are large, cut in half. Season each fillet on both sides with salt and pepper. Divide the spinach mixture evenly among the fillets and roll the fish around the mixture. Place the rice into a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish and spread evenly. Place each roll on top of the rice, seam side down and place in the oven for 25 minutes. Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and sprinkle with a dash or two of paprika before serving.

I didn't roll our fish... just layered it. I was using small Corellware dishes, so The Grill Geek could has his with cheez.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.