What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Calzones

Gluten-free calzones? Yes! I'd heard good things about this Chebe bread mix, but my initial experiment with it failed. I tried dinner rolls. That's not too crazy, really... but, they were chewy. Too chewy. Way, way too chewy. I had two more bags of the mix, so I thought I'd try something very different. Instead of small and round, large and thin. It works really well for this type of application! Still got a bit chewy as it cooled down, so eat 'em hot!



Modified instructions, from their website:

One bag of Chebe Bread Mix will make four small calzones. Follow the package directions for mixing the dough, using olive oil and adding 1/2 teaspoon each of basil, oregano, and garlic powder.

1) After mixing the dough, tear it in half, and then each half again, to make four hunks of Chebe Bread dough approximately the same size.

2) On a Silpat sheet or wax paper, spread one of the rounds out to a very thin layer, using your fingers and the heel of your hand, or using a rolling pin. You want this very thin, but be careful that there are no holes in the dough. You don't want any of the fillings escaping from the center during baking.

3) Flip the dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Top one side with 1/2 to 1 cup of fillings, leaving edges clear so that dough will seal. I used pepperoni, pastrami, bacon, and green olives for mine. I added cheese for those that can have it. Next time I plan to sizzle up some mushrooms and onions, and hopefully use cooked sausage.

4) Fold over the empty half of dough, and crimp the edges together with your fingers, being careful not to create any holes in the dough.

5) Then, using the tines of of fork, press the edges together all the way around the dough. If the fork sticks to the dough, dip it in cold water. This will secure the edges and give the calzone a finished look. Repeat for each calzone.

6) Pop into a preheated oven at 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned. (Suggestion: brush the outside with olive oil before baking, and sprinkle with Parmesan.) Let cool about 5 minutes and serve with tomato/pizza sauce for dipping.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.