What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Magic Soup (More Sick Food)

Everything In The Fridge Soup... just so happens to also be very healthy and immune-supporting. We're finally feeling human again, like there's a light at the end of the snotty, hacking tunnel. My appetite returned, along with my will to live, so I wanted more than a bowl of broth for lunch. But still wanted some broth, with all it's magical goodness. So I made this... whatever it is.



I started with half an onion, diced/minced... cut up small, whatever. I sizzled it in some bacon fat (for flavor) and coconut oil (for immune-boosting lauric acid). Then I tossed in 3 cloves of chopped garlic, about a teaspoon of cumin, half that of coriander, and maybe a quarter teaspoon of ancho chili powder. When those were ready, I dumped in about a cup of diced canned tomatoes, with their juice, 2 cups of chicken broth, and then the leftovers. I had about half a cup of the black beans/corn Thing from Iron Chef Mom night, and about as much plain black beans. I also had about half a cup of leftover taco meat. Once that was all warmed, I tossed in a small bunch of cilantro, chopped up, and some extra salt. And.. um... some Fritos, for the crunch.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.