What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bon temps roulez!

As in... "Laissez le bon temps roulez" Let the good times roll!

Lunch was chicken salad, with yummy little radish microgreens atop a leaf of romaine. Sounds so snooty bistro-ish. It was really good.


But then there was the Cajun feasting to plan for... we decided to finally take the leap and go to Exotic Meats to find something interesting for the jambalaya. We found LOTS of strange and interesting meats. We went with a rather tame choice... gator. But, fear not, the trip was not wasted. The Grill Geek had me leave the store so he could select my next Iron Chef Mom ingredient. Yikes! And, by the way, that will be delayed until the weekend. Wednesday is the Little Guy's birthday.



So.... sausage and gator jambalaya... pretty straightforward, really. We had the Grill Geek grill the gator, hoping that was the best way to prepare it. Then we put it in the pot of jambalaya for about 10 minutes, to meld. It was chewy.... but tasty, like a combination of chicken and dark-meat pork. We served it atop my best attempt so far at dairy-free "creamy" grits.


Creamy Grits
(without actual cream)

2 cups water

1 cup chicken stock

¾ cup quick grits

1 cup hazelnut milk

¼ cup coconut cream/milk

2 tablespoons bacon fat (subbing for 4 T butter)

Salt, pepper, and a touch of Spanish paprika

Bring water to a boil. Add grits, stirring with a wooden spoon. When grits thicken, add the rest of the ingredients. Return to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4-6 servings.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.