What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Roast Chicken

I'm late posting again... and hopefully there will be more today, since it's Mardi Gras. I'm not Catholic, so I have no reason to feast-before-famine today. But I won't let that little fact get in my way!

Last night I roasted a proper roasting chicken. Finally. I couldn't find real roasting chickens "down here" in my somewhat-new-still city. The little bitty birds at the grocery store were no more than 4 pounds... skinny little things that barely stretched for two meals. Today's chicken, from Whole Foods, was over 6 pounds. And that really makes a difference! The addition of age... the chicken simply being alive longer, in order to grow larger... gives a depth of flavor as well.

I attempted to butterfly it, to reduce the cooking time, since I started on dinner late.

I don't have kitchen shears (yet), so this didn't work well. And it still took forever to roast. But it was worth it, when it was finally done. We had braised winter greens (delivered by that Greenling service) and dinner rolls (using the famous GF Noah's bread mix that really is a great all-purpose recipe) for appetizers while we waited for the chicken to be done. The bones then spent the night simmering in my stock pot.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.