What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Shrimp Stir-fry

I have stir-fried shrimp before, but I think this is the first time I've used a recipe.

And naturally... I didn't really follow the recipe. I seem to be cellularly incapable of such things. Which is just as well, since the recipe came from a cookbook and is probably copyrighted. So... I'll post what I actually did, since (so far) that is not. Copyrighted. Hope y'all are following me here, but sometimes I'm not sure, so I wanted to be clear. Ok... less conversation, more action, here's the recipe.

Make some rice. I like jasmine, in a rice cooker, with about half the liquid being chicken stock and the rest water. Well, I really like the rest being coconut milk, but that's not an option right now. And I'm still pouting about it.

So... get your rice going, however you like to do that. About 20 minutes before it's ready (my rice cooker takes a looooong time, but it's worth it, because then it keeps it warm and ready for however long I need. Plus, it has fuzzy logic and I don't have any logic at all, so I can't make rice worth a damn.)

Now... start chopping:

1/2 onion, sliced fairly thin
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-size pieces
2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
2-3 green onions (if they're big honkin' ones like I got this week, if teeny, maybe 5 or 6)- slice the relevant parts into thin circles
1 tomato (I used the approximate equivalent in canned, boxed really, since I try to not use cans anymore.)

You'll also need:
3 tablespoons oil (I used 1 each of bacon fat, palm oil, and ghee... I'm weird.)
1 heaping teaspoon (not the actual measury kind, I used a regular small spoon) green curry paste. The recipe called for red, but I didn't have any. So I used green. And I added another spoonful of red chile paste that I happened to have on hand. It's rather mild. Curry tastes faboo, so just chile paste won't replace it. I'll shut up and move on now...
about 1/4 cup sake or vermouth or white wine or chicken stock. I'm flexible.
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice (who really measures that sort of thing??)
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves (or parsley if that's all you've got, not really the same, but it'll do.)
1/2 pound smallish raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, all that jazz
couple handfuls raw baby spinach
Tamari
or regular soy sauce, to taste

Heat oil in a LARGE pan and saute onion and bell pepper a few minutes, until beginning to soften. Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring often. Stir in curry paste and chile paste and craft paste (just seeing if you're paying attention) and cook another minute. Add sake and wait until about half of it boils off. Sort of scrape the veggies to one side, or the outside, of the pan and toss in the shrimp. Cook a couple of minutes, depends on the size of your shrimp. Add tomatoes and green onions. Stir (duh!) Add the spinach and really flip things over so the spinach gets on the bottom... so it can wilt. Season with fish sauce, lime juice, parsley, and tamari. Once the spinach is wilty, serve over rice. Or over easy. I don't care. It goes nicely with Gruet Blanc de Noirs (sham-pagne) which goes much-too-well with pomegranate juice. (Forget the fussy seeds or any recipes that bother with orange curacao. Juice + bubbly = joy.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.