What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lame-ass Rant

I'm behind. I haven't been blogging. I know. Sue me.

I'm suffering from a terrible case of pity-party, with a hefty dose of "meh."

I also suffer from a decent understanding of the rules governing the English language, American flavor. And today's coupons finally broke me out of my meh-rut enough to bitch to the faceless masses about it.

Cheerios Snack Mix... "Good Source of WHOLE GRAIN."

Just one?

Are they seriously advertising the presence of ONE whole grain in the product?

Or are they simply using the newest buzzword, incorrectly?

I personally think grains are NOT an important part of anyone's diet, except as a way to avoid outright starvation. That's the role they've played in most of human history... famine foods. But then the idea caught on and here we are today, eating worse than most of our pets (meaning, not species-appropriate) and getting sicker and sicker. But if we are going to go along with the idea that whole grains are at least better than refined grains, at least use proper grammar when advertising it!!

Whole grainS. Please. Really. Unless, of course, it's true that there's just one in the box.

Speaking of getting sicker and sicker... I'd like proper grammar applied to new epidemics as well. I have seen this so many times, I can't recall where. But trusted, intelligent, college-educated sources have been guilty. Maybe I'm wrong and this is actually correct... please let me know if that's the case. But it sounds stupid, which is generally my clue that something is wrong. "Obesity and overweight among our country's youth is a growing and troubling problem." Shouldn't it be overweightness or, better yet, being overweight? It just sounds wrong. Jane doesn't suffer from asthma and overweight. Jane suffers from asthma and being overweight. Doesn't that sound better? Overweight isn't a noun.

Before I go, I have to also comment on the ad for Promised Land brand "milk." (Sorry... I can't leave off the quotes, because the reconstituted, homogenized, pasteurized pus-filled crap doesn't deserve to share a name with nourishing, life-giving real milk.) They say they have no artificial hormones, and that their products are "The Way Milk Used to Taste."
Because, um... added hormones have a flavor?
And, the ad shows that it comes in three varieties: reduced fat, strawberry, and chocolate. Oh, yeah, that's the way milk has tasted for centuries....

I wish I had an emoticon here, rolling it's little eyes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.