What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grilled Salmon

Today is Ostara, the official start of Spring, a day that should be filled with treats left by Eostre's bunny, and the milk should be overflowething. Except... my Fairy Child positively insists on celebrating on Easter (despite being quite happily pagan) and we can't have milk. Luckily there are other seasonal and traditional goodies we can have.

I started the day with chocolate pancakes. I won't share the recipe. They were terrible. Any time you can make a chocolate pancake... chocolate... and neither kid will eat more than one, you know it's time to throw out your aprons and flours and condemn yourself to storebought waffles.

Lunch was just munchies... ham, nuts, and oodles of berries. None of them local or organic... so sue me. I was trying for a teachable moment with the Fairy Child, where I could tell her about the Way Things Were before electricity and refrigeration and getting everything we want from Chile during our winter. Instead she grabbed her berries and ate lunch in front of her computer.

So, dinner was grilled salmon, rice (and I'm still bitter about it not being coconut rice... it just tastes so flat when it's plain), and a big salad of fresh local greens.

On the grill... sort of the "before" shot.

And after... ready to eat... luckily, there are leftovers!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.