What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chili

Since today is Selection Sunday for March Madness, and my husband's blood runs blue for UK, and since he was raised on basketball (and football... and hockey... and baseball...) I wanted an easy dinner that we could eat while watching all the drawn-out drama on TV. Because it can't ever be so simple as just posting a big chart showing which teams get seeded where in the tourney. Noooo...

Today is also a rather chilly day, so I thought chili would be nice. Even though this is my own recipe, I never manage to follow it. This time I added an Anaheim chile, didn't use all those tomatoes (just one big can of diced and a smallish box of crushed), and I left out the cinnamon stick. Because I don't have any. I'll include an "after" photo once it's actually served.

Crock Pot Chili

Sauté:

2 lbs ground chuck
1-2 onions, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
large handful sliced fresh mushrooms

Pour into crock pot:

2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes (mild or regular)
1 can petite-diced tomatoes
1 can plain tomato sauce (full size)
1 can frijoles negro

Sautéed ingredients

Add spices:

2 T chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cilantro
4 dashes cayenne (or 1/4 tsp spicy smoked paprika, if you have it)
1 T cocoa powder

1 cinnamon stick

Start in the morning, ready by dinner. Start after lunch, might need to put it on "high." It's flexible.

There it is. Chili. With tortilla chips, to make it pretty. The Little Guy's hand is in the background, adding chips to the guacamole. He then inhaled the guacamole and demanded more. Like his mama, he's Mexican at heart.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.