What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fajita Salad, Again

I know... we eat a LOT of fajita-type stuff around here. What can I say? I live in South Texas... I am inspired. When the sun is shining, the tunes are playing, I'm feeling fried (literally, not "stressed") from playing in the backyard so much, and the soft, thick air is settling down after a day of blowing... I see on my menu that I planned to do "something" with a big slab of cheap steak, and I think "fajitas." And it's a winner, every time.

Tonight it was fajita salad. Fresh, local (Bibb, I think??) lettuce, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt, topped with shredded green (local, once again) cabbage that was dressed with white vinegar, agave, and salt, then some sliced avocado with lime juice, the grilled steak, and then grilled onions, red bell pepper, and some sort of hot green pepper. Those were tossed with bacon fat after slicing and prior to grilling.

It was, of COURSE, delicious. Oh... and that's a grilled zucchini at the bottom there. It was good, too.

Last night I forgot to post... we had stir-fry... it was yummy, but not all that special.

It was leftover grilled steak, from Naughty Friday, with onions, a mix of lemongrass (one stalk, finely-minced), ginger (small bit grated with a micro-plane) and 2 cloves minced garlic, tamari, fish sauce, and chicken stock. I tossed in some spinach at the very end, to wilt. And we served it over rice.
If anyone wants an actual recipe... just ask. I think I'll remember what I loosely based it upon.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.