What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ouch


Tonight I tried to make this.

Ratatouille on polenta, with baby greens. I've been wanting to try ratatouille. And I've been wanting to get more creative with polenta. I had baby spinach. It was perfect.

Except... I don't like eggplant, so I left it out, I do like zucchini, so I chopped some up, and I felt lazy, so I left out the olives. Oh, and I'm having issues with canned tomatoes- concerns about the BPA in the lining- so I used jarred pasta sauce instead. And I added meatballs, because I'm an unapologetic carnivore. (Don't bother, I know the correct term is omnivore, I simply like baiting vegetarians. I like the impact of saying carnivore.)

So, basically, I completely changed the recipe.

And more-importantly, I burned the ever-livin-crap out of my hand.

You see... I've never put a skillet in the oven before. Just haven't needed to.
Tonight's recipe could just as easily been put into a different pan first, but... the recipe said to put the skillet in the oven. Despite my misgivings, I did. I knew I would forget and grab the handle. And, shockingly, I did.

Ouch.

I'm also having computer issues, so... I'll post a pic later. Nothing turned out the way I thought it would and I doubt I'll make this again. The greens didn't wilt from the heat of the food. The polenta didn't achieve the solidness I had been led to expect. The ratatouille was much too sweet, I guess due to the storebought sauce.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.