What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oven Carolina Chicken


We really ought to name this chicken dish after our friend Heidi, as it was accidentally-created because she was coming over for dinner. I was planning to "do something with" a recipe called Crockpot Thai Chicken, or something like that. But... having a needy baby all over me... had failed to figure out exactly what. And then it was too-late for the crockpot and Heidi was coming over. The Grill Geek offered to step in, and this is what he created. We named it Oven Carolina Chicken because... well... it was cooked in the oven and we lived in South Carolina.

INGREDIENTS:

6 skinless chicken thighs*
½ cup regular salsa
¼ cup salsa verde
1 T soy sauce
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 T lime juice
¼ tsp ground ginger
4 tsp cilantro
1 tsp parsley
some white wine

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put chicken in a casserole dish and mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover with foil and poke some holes with a fork. Bake for about an hour, if bone-in.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with steamed broccoli and rice- pour saucy stuff over rice.

* Recipe note... I almost-never advocate skinless chicken, but in this case... if you are a "texture person" you'll really not like the steamed/boiled skin, and removing it afterward would remove some of the sauce, so... just take it off before baking.


We had roasted beets with it, instead of rice, and I really missed the extra saucy stuff.

Last night we had grilled half-ceviche salmon...


The slab of salmon I had to work with on ceviche night was more than we could possibly eat. And I wasn't sure how long ceviche stays fresh in the fridge or if it's maybe not so great leftover. So... I pulled half of it out of the cevichey-juice after just an hour and set it aside for another night. Had the Grill Geek slap it on the grill, skin-side-only (I put it flesh-side down in the ceviche). More bacon-wrapped leeks were attempted (there's a learning-curve here), and we had some asparagus, so that got grilled, too. I swear I can't eat asparagus cooked indoors anymore. It just... pales in comparison. Maybe if it were broiled...

And recently we had this: grilled flank steak and stir-fried veggies. But I forgot to blog about it. It was really, really tasty, and I didn't want it's feelings to get hurt. So, here it is.


I simply marinated the steak in a bit of olive oil, lime juice, tamari, ginger, and garlic. Then the Grill Geek slapped it on the grill, saving (and boiling) the marinade. I stir-fried some veggies, made rice, and poured the marinade-now-sauce over everything.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.