What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sushi!

No, I didn't attempt to prepare my own sushi. But, this blog is about what I'd eat, and that doesn't always mean what I cook. Tonight was The Grill Master's birthday, so he got fancy sushi delivered (from Sushi Zushi), whether he wanted it or not. Turns out, he did. He loved it.


Clockwise from the big triangle thing:

Salmon Musubi- Sushi rice mixed with Grilled Smoked Salmon, shaped like a triangle, lightly baked with a touch of Sesame Oil.

Summer Roll- Tuna, Salmon, Yellow Tail and Avocado. Rolled with Nori on the outside and topped with Ikura Salmon Caviar.

Salmon, Red Snapper, and Tuna Nigiri

And then up above, barely in the picture, is:

Toreado Roll- JalapeƱo toreado, Crab Kani-Kama, Avocado, topped with Baked Scallop in a mild spicy mayonnaise sauce, rolled uramaki style with sesame seeds.

Their idea of "mild" is exactly what one ought to expect when getting food from people who like wasabi, while located near people who eat habeneros. Yeah. Ouch. But, I washed it down with Redbridge beer, which actually was a good match. It's on the sweet, light side, just like most Asian beers!


Everything was absolutely fabulous. Just unbelievable. The scallop was unlike any scallop I'd had before... so tender it almost melted in my mouth. The summer rolls were perfectly balanced in flavor. I've heard that Japanese cooking is very much about balance, but I don't think I'll ever understand how to achieve that kind... it was amazing. Perfect. And this was the perfect, palate-cleansing, spice-soothing finish:


Polynesian Frushi Roll- Fresh Strawberries and sweet pineapple rolled uramaki style and wrapped in banana. Accompanied with mango sherbet.

Perfect.



No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.