What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Friday, April 18, 2008

More Ceviche

With a side of blue corn chips... yum!

Salmon Ceviche

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 teaspoon agave (a generous squirt)

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon chili paste or sauce

  • 3/4 cup fresh juices- lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit

  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin

  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed

  • 1/4 cup minced red onion (I omitted)

  • 1 ripe tomato, finely diced (I used salsa... on the side)

  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (or 1 T dried)

  • 1 pound very fresh salmon fillets (sushi-grade), thinly sliced

  • 1 avocado, sliced


DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large non-metal bowl, dissolve the agave, salt, and chili paste in the lime juice. Season with pepper and cumin. Stir in the olive oil, garlic, onion, tomato, and cilantro. Gently mix in the salmon, then cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.

  2. To serve, drain the excess liquid from the salmon, then gently stir in the avocado slices, and allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.