What WOULD Bekki Eat?

Well, I'll start with what I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't eat margarine. Or tofu. Or lowered-fat anything. Olestra is right out. Hydrolyzed, isolated, evaporated, enriched, or chocolate flavored "phood" won't pass these lips.
What will I eat? Real food. Made-at-home food. Food that my great-great-grandmother could have made, if she had the money and the time. And if she hadn't been so busy trick-riding in a most unladylike way.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Herb Butter

I have no knack with plants. I can (and have) killed ivy. Southern states ought to pay me to cultivate kudzu... it would rid them of the pesty plant for good.

This extends to cut herbs. I can't keep them fresh. I follow directions I've found online, but with the exception of some thyme I bought a few months ago (that actually started growing roots under my careful negligence), they all start to shrivel quickly.

Today's Greenling box included some oregano (I think?!) and instead of trying to work it into every recipe, I decided to make herb butter. Then I can be all fancy-shmancy and add dollops of finishing butter to things. Best of all, I can stick the butter in the freezer and just use bits over time. Less pressure that way. I felt very in tune with the season while doing it, too. For most of the United States, herbs are just now starting to flourish, local butter is just now available again. We've been genuinely hot down here for a while now, but I grew up 600 miles north, so it's nice to feel in tune with the seasons everyone else has.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tejas, United States
I am many things... all at the same time. (No wonder I don't get much done!) I am a wife to a retired infantryman, mother of 3, stocker (and stalker) of the fridge, passionate fan of food, nutrition, ecology, coffee, wine, and college football. I love all things witchy and piratey. I often cook with booze. I feed stray cats. I don't believe in sunscreen. I don't like shoes and really hate socks. And I currently can't eat any gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, coconut(!?), or sodium metabisulfite (aw, shucks, no chemical snackies.) Sometimes even citric acid gets me. But only sometimes.